http://northshorejournal.org/LinkedImages//2009/04/putting-up-a-poster-at-the-iman-abbas-school.jpg
http://northshorejournal.org/LinkedImages//2009/04/uk-army-1st-lt-lori-sharp.jpg

U.K. Army 1st Lt. Lori Sharp from 26th Regiment Royal Artillery, assist with putting up a poster at the Iman Abbas School in Basra, Iraq, on April 13. Photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Andre McIntyre

http://www.clydeandforthmedia.co.uk/img/2011/11/23/lbdr-andrews-wt-44b.jpg
A YOUNG soldier from the Borders has deployed to Afghanistan to provide vital artillery support to infantry in Helmand Province.

Lance Bombardier Mathew Andrews from 26 Regiment Royal Artillery is providing fire support to infantry soldiers in the Nad-e Ali area of the province.

The South African born soldier - who now lives in St Boswells, Roxburghshire, joined the British army back in 2007 and became an artillery forward observer, where he works in a small team known as a Fire Support Team (FST).

The FST provides infantry with a range of fire support - from engaging the enemy with indirect weapons such as the mortars or a 105mm Light Gun, through to calling in the Apache attack helicopter.

LBdr Andrews said: "I enjoy patrolling on the ground with my infantry unit and I like the responsibility that I have. Being in control of assets that will ensure the patrol's safety if they were to get into trouble is a great feeling."

LBdr Andrews is a physical training instructor (PTI) and he works in the gymnasium when the regiment is back in camp in Gutersloh, Germany.

LBdr's mother and sister live in St Boswell, Roxburghshire, Scotland, and he is looking forward to seeing both his fiancée Louise and family in the future when he returns home from tour in April.

He said: "I miss my both fiancée and family a lot. However, I'd like them to know that I am looking after myself and I will see them all soon."

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/jul2009/5/7/23-07-09-image-7-32527380.jpg

British bomb disposal expert's Taliban warning as new soldier dies in Afghanistan Jul 23 2009

A British bomb disposal expert killed as he tried to defuse a device in Afghanistan had warned that the Taliban were "clever" and "trying to find ways to catch us out".

A British bomb disposal expert killed as he tried to defuse a device in Afghanistan had warned that the Taliban were "clever" and "trying to find ways to catch us out".

Captain Dan Shepherd, 28, was named yesterday as the 187th Briton to die there since 2001.

But almost immediately the toll rose to 188 when a soldier from 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards was killed by an explosion while on patrol with 1st Battalion Welsh Guards in Helmand province.

He is the 19th British serviceman to die in Afghanistan in July - our worst month for combat deaths.

The grim statistic was revealed as a senior politician embarrassed Gordon Brown by fuelling the row over resources for UK troops. Outgoing Foreign Office minister Lord Malloch-Brown said: "We definitely don't have enough helicopters."

The prophetic warning by Captain Shepherd was made exactly a month ago when he said on TV: "The Taliban have got some very good intelligence on the way we conduct our business. They watch us closely, trying to find ways to catch us out. We have to be aware that every action we take could be used as a way of catching us out in future."

Capt Shepherd, of Lincoln, who served with the Joint Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group, was killed on Monday.

He had dealt with more than 50 bombs in Afghanistan and was due to take an Army job back in Britain aimed at counteracting the threat from Taliban ambushes.

His wife Kerry said: "He was doing what he loved. I was so proud of him. I have lost not just a husband but a best friend. He will be missed by everyone."

COURAGEOUS

A statement from his family said: "We are very proud of our youngest son and husband. He lived life to the full. Daniel worked hard to achieve all he set out to do. He has left a huge hole in our lives."

His CO, Lt Col Roger Lewis, said: "He was incredibly courageous yet immensely modest about his stunning achievements.

"Dan was a consummate and technically gifted officer. He understood fully the dangerous nature of his job yet every day was the first to put his own life on the line. To have the honour to serve alongside him was a humbling experience. He was an inspiration."

Major Eldon Millar said: "Captain Dan Shepherd was a man of extraordinary talent - determined and unbelievably courageous. He was the epitome of cool and utterly unflappable, which inspired enormous confidence in all who served with him."

In yesterday's political spat, Lord Malloch-Brown later attempted to climb down from his criticism over helicopter numbers by saying there were "without doubt sufficient resources in place for current operations".

But the Prime Minister was still left on the defensive during a press grilling on the issue. He said: "I am satisfied that Operation Panther's Claw has the resources it needs to be successful."

He was quickly contradicted by an ex-commander of UK troops in Helmand. Brigadier Ed Butler said that while the Panther's Claw offensive may have the equipment and helicopters needed, "the wider campaign has been insufficiently resourced".